Until your package has been picked up and scanned by the carrier, you're not going to see any movement associated with your tracking number. After movement happens, you'll be able to log onto UPS.com or USPS.com and track your package.
Some cool FYIs:
- UPS My Choice offers a free service that allows you to control your shipments and give delivery instructions.
- It also notifies you when packages are delivered.
- Sign up here: https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/tracking/mychoice.page
- You can also have your UPS packages delivered to an Access Point location.
- USPS offers a similar service for all of your mail: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action.